Margate and Hari Raya and Gillingham.

Its that time of year again where kids knock on doors to get goodies. Nope, not halloween but Hari Raya! Yes, for those who dont know, kids will roam around the neighbourhood visiting neighbours they do not even know to try and get a few bucks. But in the spirit of Hari Raya, houses rarely reject these kids and treat them as they would other guests, with the customary green packets being handed out at the end.

This is my story..

I never understood the logic behind this "malay trick-or treating" as a kid. I mean, if I wanted money, id visit my relatives' houses, they'd usually give more lucrative amounts in those wonderful, wonderful little envelopes (hey, to kids those days any note not coloured blue was a lot!! Ten bucks back then would make you feel golden!!). Anyways, having said that, I went on with my friends one day to go "Beraya" or (بري أ) in arabic (which unfortunately and UNINTENTIONALLY also spells out 'beria..) One of the houses i went, we got served A LOT of mirinda orange.. It wouldnt hav been a problem if we hadnt JUST had plenty of soft drinks in the PREVIOUS 5 houses.. Then the lady kata "Habiskan ah, mun nda habis, nada duit raya ni (finish your drinks, otherwise there will be no money)". Me, being a cute and honest kid (perasanness) told the lady, "Nda apa aku kemari bukan aga duit..(its okay, its not your money i'm after)" Hmm, thinking about that day, I did have fun, but it wasnt because of the money, but it was because i was spending time going around the neighbourhood with my friends. I mean, these days its hard to spend time with your friends like that and it just seems we take those moments for granted. Anyways, that was the first story.

Second story: A week has passed since the first day of Syawal.. Everyone is off to work.. Kids still have holidays.. I am merely 7 years old.. I just took a crap.. I went off to look for my maid (i think it was because i was hungry).. I didnt bother to put my pants back on.. Everything was going fine. I twirled my pants around (i just had a shirt and spindat on) while shouting "Aunty!! Aunty!!" When i went past the guest area, i suddenly felt the presence of people... THERE WERE ABOUT FIVE (YES, BLOODY FIVE!!!) GIRLS (YES, BLOODY GIRLS!!) sitting in the area. They were obviously there to perform the aforementioned "Beraya". I ran into the kitchen, put my bloody pants back on and I told of my maid for not telling me we had guests.. Girl guests.. Girl guests who were my age.. and they saw me in my underwear.. Of course, it was clearly my own fault.. What did i expect my maid to say? "Oh ya! Hari senin adip kecil memang suka pakai spendet nya aja!" THE HORROR!! THE SHAME!! I had to cover my face as I ran past them to go into my mummy's room.. But the ordeal doesnt end there... When school resumed, some girls confronted me.. They said they saw me naked at my house... "I wasnt naked!! I was wearing underwear! And it wasnt me, it was my identical twin brother!" Yeah right.. Of course they probably didnt buy it.. but to this day, i assumed they did so I am at peace so lets leave it at that.. (Also, i hope my kids never get to read this..) Brunei is hot, okay!! pants restrict some things..

Phew~! Its been such a long while since i blogged properly.. Anyways, this year there quite a number of Bruneians studying in medway. Last year, it was just me and Shirley but this time around, theres also Zaim, Yati, Muiz, Syaza, Thet (honorary bruneian), Izzah, Azimah Zimbo and nabilah. So that makes ten! And these are very nice people! So im glad about that. We have board game nights and poker nights and things are merrier than last year. (About twelve months ago, i thought i was the only Bruneian here..) Oh, by the way, we hangout quite a lot so today, we went for board game hunting! We looked at stores such as Cancer Research UK and British Heart foundation (they sell pre-owned board games for almost nothing!) We got cluedo for 1.25pounds (everything was in mint condition and seemed unused - plastic figured still uncut from plastic frame..) Taboo for a mere 50 pence (worth a try, no?) and Zaim got the Therapy game for 1.49 pounds. What a bargain!

Model is available for hire for 50pence per hour (limaposen) on weekends. Terms and conditions apply.

Previously, me Yati and Zaim, along with Canterburyans (??) Sofi and Jirin went to margate. It was a first time for me and I had an absolute blast! One thing worth mentioning tho, dont be fooled by our pics on the beach, we were absolutely freezing!! (yes, cold winds from the ocean + no jackets = extreme cooling sensation!)

Yati inda puasa!!

Zaim control!!

Mari kitani buat macam ani pantai kitani!!

Self explanatory picture.. Ada adult joke shop next to the bong shop as well..

Ahh.. Margate siuk! Next time lagi pigi Insya Allah. Theres this primark store there as well (tho its not as big as the one we have in Chatham, heheh..) To conclude this post, here are some pics of me "Beraya"ing at Canterbury. Till next time, ciao!!

Me smiling wide as usual..

Group photo in front of rumah Jirin

SELAMAT HARI RAYA AIDILFITRI. MAAF ZAHIR DAN BATIN!!

0 comments: